When plumbing fails, it can lead to costly leaks, water damage, flooding, and mold that is hazardous to your health. One plumbing failure that is cause for concern is a plumbing leak behind a wall. “Wouldn’t I hear a plumbing leak behind a wall?” Believe it or not, the likelihood of you hearing a water leak behind a wall is slim because leaks are usually silent.
“If leaks behind walls are silent, then how do I know if I have a leak?” Unfortunately, these silent leaks often go undetected until it’s too late; however, they can leave clues, you just need to know what to look for.
Subtle Signs of a Leak Behind a Wall
If a plumbing leak is behind a wall and it’s left untreated, it can cause serious water damage, requiring costly repairs. Thankfully, if you know what to look for, you can usually notice the subtle signs of a plumbing leak behind a wall. Here are the types of signs to look for when you suspect a leak:
- There is mold or mildew in a non-shower area. Mold thrives in dark, moist environments, especially behind walls and underneath flooring. If you observe mold in an area that does not usually hold accumulated water, this could be a sign that you have a leaking pipe.
- There is peeling paint on the walls.
- The wallpaper is peeling.
- The bathroom has a water-stained or cracked ceiling.
- The flooring in the bathroom is buckled or cracked.
- There is a musty smell in a room that won’t go away.
Water leaks can occur behind walls, but they can also occur in the following areas of a home: toilets, under bathroom and kitchen sinks, in the bathtub, in the shower, the icemaker water supply line, and in washing machine hoses.
Related: “Plumbing Leaks and Mold”
At Excalibur Plumbing, our Cedar Park plumbers specialize in leak detection. Whether it’s inside a wall or under a sink, or hidden someplace else, we’ll find it. If you suspect you have a plumbing leak, reach out to us and if you are experiencing water damage or flooding due to a leak, we can help. Contact us today to learn about our expansive plumbing services.