Plumbing Tips for Holiday Guests
Now that we are deep in the middle of the holiday season, it’s time to cozy up by the fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa, enjoy the Christmas lights, cook up delicious holiday feasts and most importantly, take a break from our busy lives and spend more time with the ones we love. After all, the holidays are a great time for everyone to come together.
What about you, will you be entertaining for the holidays? Will your college-age children be coming home for winter break? Will your parents or in-laws be traveling from out-of-state to see you and the grandkids? Will you be throwing a huge holiday bash?
Whether you plan on entertaining 50 guests for a Christmas or New Year’s party, or 10 family members for a week, it’s important to make sure your plumbing can handle the additional load. The last thing you want is a backed-up toilet when you have a house full of guests, a clogged shower drain in the guest bathroom, or broken garbage disposal on Christmas morning!
Plumbing tips for a smooth holiday season:
- If you’re already having problems with a clogged drain, toilet, or garbage disposal, call on a plumber to take care of the problem well-before your guests are scheduled to arrive.
- Consider having a plumber clean your drains if you’ve never done it before.
If you have a “questionable” toilet that’s prone to clogging, have a plumber come out and get down to the bottom of the problem and take care of it. This way, you can avoid a backed-up toilet when guests arrive.
- Put hair-catching devices on all bathroom drains (bathtubs, showers, and bathroom sinks). This prevents hair from clogging the drains.
- Use a Zip-It tool (available on Amazon and at most home improvement, plumbing, and superstores) and clean out all bathroom drains of hair and sludge.
- Avoid putting grease, eggshells, coffee grounds, and fibrous foods down the garbage disposal.
- Avoid flushing anything but toilet paper down the toilet! Teach family members NOT to flush paper towels, cotton balls, trash, Q-tips, tissues, and anything else down the toilet. Otherwise, you can quickly have a plumbing emergency on your hands.
At Excalibur Plumbing, we want to wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season. If you need plumbing services in Cedar Park or Leander, contact us to schedule a service call with an experienced plumber.